Day 29 - A Song From Your Childhood
If songs recall memories of a place and time, it seems to me that childhood is the place and time that's among the most likely. The Friendly Giant theme. The Hockey Night in Canada theme. "Frère Jacques". The classic "I will do it with my spear and magic helmet…" from What's Opera, Doc?
A song from my childhood is "Forever in Blue Jeans" by Neil Diamond.
I promised Neil Diamond would turn up on this list twice, didn't I?
When I was a kid, we used to ski a lot in the winters. I mean, it's Ottawa — fantastic cross-country ski trails up in the Gatineaus. Some of my most vivid childhood memories are Saturday and Sunday ski days; not just the skiing, but also the drive out to Camp Fortune.
My dad used to play the local easy listening station on the radio, and Neil Diamond was a mid-late '70s staple. Most of all, I remember "Forever in Blue Jeans".
For me, this is the most familiar instance of a mondegreen. A mondegreen is when you mishear something, like a lyric in a song or a poem, and end up completely changing the meaning of what you're hearing. A famous example would be Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze", where "'Scuse me while I kiss the sky" gets misheard as "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy". Another is Manfred Mann's Earth Band's "Blinded by the Light", where "revved up like a deuce" is misheard as "wrapped up like a douche".
In this case, for years and years, I thought that this song was called "Reverend Blue Jeans". Yep…
Look, I'm not claiming that it makes sense. That being said, a) I was a kid at the time and b) it's not like the original lyrics make much sense either. So there.
30 Songs in 30 Days
- Your Favourite Song - "American Pie" by Don McLean
- Your Least Favourite Song - "Hotel Room Service" by Pitbull
- A Song That Makes You Happy - "Legend of a Cowgirl" by Imani Coppola
- A Song That Makes You Sad - "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley
- A Song That Reminds You of Someone - "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga
- A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere - "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads
- A Song That Reminds You of a Certain Event - "Say it Ain't So" by Weezer
- A Song That You Know All the Words To - "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" by Meatloaf
- A Song That You Can Dance To - "Babe" by Styx
- A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep - "One For My Baby" by Frank Sinatra
- A Song From Your Favourite Band - "Unconditional" by jacksoul
- A Song From a Band You Hate - "Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles
- A Song That is a Guilty Pleasure - "Snoopy's Christmas" by The Royal Guardsmen
- A Song That No One Would Expect You to Love - "One" by Metallica
- A Song That Describes You - "Still Crazy After All These Years" by Paul Simon
- A Song That You Used to Love But Now You Hate - "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond
- A Song That You Hear Often on the Radio - "1979" by Smashing Pumpkins
- A Song That You Wish You Heard on the Radio - "Dance of the Vulnerable" by Gregory Hoskins and the Stickpeople
- A Song From Your Favourite Album - "Gulf War Song" by Moxy Früvous
- A Song You Listen to When You're Angry - "Bodies" by Drowning Pool
- A Song You Listen to When You're Happy - "What the Fuck Was I Thinking" by Jon Levine Band
- A Song You Listen to When You're Sad - "Raining in Baltimore" by Counting Crows
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Wedding - "Sara Smile" by Hall & Oates
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Funeral - "Home for a Rest" by Spirit of the West
- A Song That Makes you Laugh - "You Oughta Know" by Jaymz Bee and the Royal Jelly Orchestra
- A Song That You Can Play on an Instrument - "Spoonman" by Soundgarden
- A Song That Makes You Feel Guilty - "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan
- A Song You Wish You Could Play - "Clutterbilly" by The Ranch
- A Song From Your Childhood - "Forever in Blue Jeans" by Neil Diamond
- Your Favourite Song This Time Last Year