Day 30 - Your Favourite Song This Time Last Year
So, since I don't tend to listen to new music, I really struggled with what song I would have called my favourite a year ago. I mean, the new music that was getting played all the time at that point certainly wouldn't qualify. Adele? Rebecca Black? No.
I could just as easily have said, well, my favourite song a year ago was the same as my favourite song now, thrown up another "American Pie" post, and the circle is unbroken… But, no — it's worth more effort than that. So…
My favourite song this time last year was "Northern Touch" by Rascalz, featuring Kardinal Offishall, Checkmate, Thrust & Choclair.
For some reason at this time last year, my iTunes was getting back in touch with my taste for late '90s Canadian hip hop. This song featured a who's who of the scene, and was the jumping-off point for exposing Kardinal Offishall and Chocolair to a much wider audience than they'd previously enjoyed. Their careers, especially Kardinall's, took off from there.
In a lot of ways, it was a watershed moment for the industry. Besides Kardinal and Choclair, this song's success — and the success of Rascalz' Cash Crop album — was the precursor to acts like Baby Blue Soundcrew, Jully Black, Swollen Members, and k-os.
I really enjoy this period in Canadian music.
And that's it — 30 songs in 30 days (well, 31 days, to be truthful). This was a fun exercise. If you've been following along, I hope you've enjoyed it. Thanks again to Lisa Winston for the inspiration!
30 Songs in 30 Days
- Your Favourite Song - "American Pie" by Don McLean
- Your Least Favourite Song - "Hotel Room Service" by Pitbull
- A Song That Makes You Happy - "Legend of a Cowgirl" by Imani Coppola
- A Song That Makes You Sad - "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley
- A Song That Reminds You of Someone - "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga
- A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere - "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads
- A Song That Reminds You of a Certain Event - "Say it Ain't So" by Weezer
- A Song That You Know All the Words To - "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" by Meatloaf
- A Song That You Can Dance To - "Babe" by Styx
- A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep - "One For My Baby" by Frank Sinatra
- A Song From Your Favourite Band - "Unconditional" by jacksoul
- A Song From a Band You Hate - "Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles
- A Song That is a Guilty Pleasure - "Snoopy's Christmas" by The Royal Guardsmen
- A Song That No One Would Expect You to Love - "One" by Metallica
- A Song That Describes You - "Still Crazy After All These Years" by Paul Simon
- A Song That You Used to Love But Now You Hate - "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond
- A Song That You Hear Often on the Radio - "1979" by Smashing Pumpkins
- A Song That You Wish You Heard on the Radio - "Dance of the Vulnerable" by Gregory Hoskins and the Stickpeople
- A Song From Your Favourite Album - "Gulf War Song" by Moxy Früvous
- A Song You Listen to When You're Angry - "Bodies" by Drowning Pool
- A Song You Listen to When You're Happy - "What the Fuck Was I Thinking" by Jon Levine Band
- A Song You Listen to When You're Sad - "Raining in Baltimore" by Counting Crows
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Wedding - "Sara Smile" by Hall & Oates
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Funeral - "Home for a Rest" by Spirit of the West
- A Song That Makes you Laugh - "You Oughta Know" by Jaymz Bee and the Royal Jelly Orchestra
- A Song That You Can Play on an Instrument - "Spoonman" by Soundgarden
- A Song That Makes You Feel Guilty - "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan
- A Song You Wish You Could Play - "Clutterbilly" by The Ranch
- A Song From Your Childhood - "Forever in Blue Jeans" by Neil Diamond
- Your Favourite Song This Time Last Year - "Northern Touch" by Rascalz, featuring Kardinal Offishall, Checkmate, Thrust & Choclair