Day 9 - A Song That You Can Dance To
Hey, I didn't say it'd be 30 songs in 30 consecutive days, did I? Or maybe I did. Sorry — I got a totally unrelated post up yesterday and then life took over. Anyway, back to business.
I can't dance. OK, I should be a little more nuanced than that. Depending on the situation, I either can't dance or don't dance.
When it comes to musical theatre, I can't dance. I mean, I really can't dance. If I had to get into shows on the basic of my dance auditions alone, I'd never get cast. Actually, that's not quite true. Depending on the show, being male can give you certain advantages, not the least of which is that community theatre companies regularly seem to be short of men.
I did a production of "42nd Street" once, which, if you're not familiar with it, is very heavy on the tap dancing. In fact, it opens with a giant tap number set in an audition (a little meta). I survived that during performances only because they choreographed me into the back row of the number. I also learned to become very adept at moving my upper body to make it look like it was involved in things in which my lower body was taking no part.
As for the rest of life…
A song that I can dance to is "Babe" by Styx.
As for the rest of life, I don't dance. I can, of course, but I generally choose not to. I don't enjoy it. I'm sure there was a time when I did — using fake ID to get into clubs in Hull when I was 15, for example. That was as much about the drinking as the dancing, of course, if not more so. And I know there's a time when I will again — I have a wedding coming up in three years, after all, and there'll be a reception with a first dance, and I suspect several others.
But otherwise, I don't dance. So, gun to my head, if I had to, "Babe" would have to be my go-to song. It's the classic last song at the school dance. You just grab on, hold tight, and move around in a circle.
That is still how it works, right?
30 Songs in 30 Days
- Your Favourite Song - "American Pie" by Don McLean
- Your Least Favourite Song - "Hotel Room Service" by Pitbull
- A Song That Makes You Happy - "Legend of a Cowgirl" by Imani Coppola
- A Song That Makes You Sad - "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley
- A Song That Reminds You of Someone - "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga
- A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere - "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads
- A Song That Reminds You of a Certain Event - "Say it Ain't So" by Weezer
- A Song That You Know All the Words To - "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" by Meatloaf
- A Song That You Can Dance To - "Babe" by Styx
- A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep
- A Song From Your Favourite Band
- A Song From a Band You Hate
- A Song That is a Guilty Pleasure
- A Song That No One Would Expect You to Love
- A Song That Describes You
- A Song That You Used to Love But Now You Hate
- A Song That You Hear Often on the Radio
- A Song That You Wish You Heard on the Radio
- A Song From Your Favourite Album
- A Song You Listen to When You're Angry
- A Song You Listen to When You're Happy
- A Song You Listen to When You're Sad
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Wedding
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Funeral
- A Song That Makes you Laugh
- A Song That You Can Play on an Instrument
- A Song That Makes You Feel Guilty
- A Song You Wish You Could Play
- A Song From Your Childhood
- Your Favourite Song This Time Last Year