Day 12 - A Song From a Band You Hate
Hate is an awfully strong word. There are a lot of songs of which I'm not especially fond. There are a number of artists/bands I could do without having to hear — Madonna, Lady Gaga, Celine Dion, and Michael Bolton are a few who come to mind. But to say that you hate a band, that takes a serious commitment.
However, I do have one band that I think would have to qualify.
A song from a band I hate is "Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles.
I'll wait a moment for you to calm down…
No, seriously, I'll wait…
OK, if you're still reading, thanks very much. Yeah, I hate The Beatles. Not the first time I've said it, although certainly the first time I've essentially announced it to the entire world. Honestly, I'm not just being provocative; I really do hate them. I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. I don't hear what's so special.
Part of it's the associated hype — I know that. I usually react poorly to hype. Wayne Gretzky, for example. I'm certainly prepared to acknowledge that he's the greatest and among the most creative offensive talents in hockey history. But to call him the greatest hockey player of all time is ridiculous to me. I'd like some attention paid to the fact that he piled up his stats during an era of massive offensive explosion. I'd like the greatest of all time to have visited his defensive zone other than during face-offs. I'd like the greatest of all time to have thrown a body check at least once. I'd like the greatest of all time to have something approaching a complete set of the skills that go into playing hockey. Greatest of all time? I'll take Gordie Howe, thanks very much. If his career hadn't been ruined by injury, I'd take Bobby Orr.
And in the case of The Beatles, the hype, in my opinion, is so wildly out of proportion with the quality of their body of work. Their lyrics range from simplistic to inane. They're repetitive. The vocals are soulless. I'll give them full marks for writing their own songs and playing their own instruments, which differentiates them from the last few generations of boy bands, but that's about as far as I can go.
British invasion? Give me The Rolling Stones over The Beatles any day. Give me Tom Jones over both of them.
I dislike The Beatles enough that I didn't even link to a video of their version of "Here Comes the Sun" above. Instead, I've brought you the oh-my-god, so-wildly superior Richie Havens cover of the song. Seriously, play the two of them one right after the other. Havens' version is Major League Baseball; The Beatles' is High-A ball — professional, but several levels removed.
So, flame away — I hate The Beatles. I wonder if I should shut down comments on this post in advance…
30 Songs in 30 Days
- Your Favourite Song - "American Pie" by Don McLean
- Your Least Favourite Song - "Hotel Room Service" by Pitbull
- A Song That Makes You Happy - "Legend of a Cowgirl" by Imani Coppola
- A Song That Makes You Sad - "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley
- A Song That Reminds You of Someone - "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga
- A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere - "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads
- A Song That Reminds You of a Certain Event - "Say it Ain't So" by Weezer
- A Song That You Know All the Words To - "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" by Meatloaf
- A Song That You Can Dance To - "Babe" by Styx
- A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep - "One For My Baby" by Frank Sinatra
- A Song From Your Favourite Band - "Unconditional" by jacksoul
- A Song From a Band You Hate - "Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles
- A Song That is a Guilty Pleasure
- A Song That No One Would Expect You to Love
- A Song That Describes You
- A Song That You Used to Love But Now You Hate
- A Song That You Hear Often on the Radio
- A Song That You Wish You Heard on the Radio
- A Song From Your Favourite Album
- A Song You Listen to When You're Angry
- A Song You Listen to When You're Happy
- A Song You Listen to When You're Sad
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Wedding
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Funeral
- A Song That Makes you Laugh
- A Song That You Can Play on an Instrument
- A Song That Makes You Feel Guilty
- A Song You Wish You Could Play
- A Song From Your Childhood
- Your Favourite Song This Time Last Year