Day 13 - A Song That is a Guilty Pleasure
Everybody has songs that they don't want to admit they enjoy. I remember seeing someone talking a few weeks back about taking their mother to see a Barry Manilow concert, and realizing how much they were enjoying hearing all those old hits again. Which of course leads into the whole discussion about how the only Manilow song that he didn't write was "I Write the Songs", but that's another thing entirely.
A song that is a guilty pleasure is "Snoopy's Christmas" by The Royal Guardsmen.
I'm not much for Christmas; well, actually I'm not much for holidays in general, but Christmas especially really doesn't turn my crank. That's become even more the case as I get older. It's just more hassle than it is anything else. And cost — oh, jeez, the cost.
The one thing that I do tend to still dig about the season is the novelty music, and this song in particular. When I hear it, I think about piling into the car as a kid with my dad and my sister to drive out to the country and cut down a Christmas tree. Plus, I've always been a big Peanuts fan, so this song will naturally strike a chord. And it does have the British invasion sound that I enjoy, yesterday's post notwithstanding.
Interestingly, for as long as I can remember, I thought this song was called "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron". That song does exist, and it's one of three songs in the The Royal Guardsmen's Snoopy œuvre. But as I discovered during the course of writing this, it's not the song I remember so fondly from childhood; in fact, I'm not sure I've ever heard "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron" until tonight, or the follow-up "The Return of the Red Baron".
Needless to say, this has shaken my world view down to its very foundations…
30 Songs in 30 Days
- Your Favourite Song - "American Pie" by Don McLean
- Your Least Favourite Song - "Hotel Room Service" by Pitbull
- A Song That Makes You Happy - "Legend of a Cowgirl" by Imani Coppola
- A Song That Makes You Sad - "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley
- A Song That Reminds You of Someone - "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga
- A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere - "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads
- A Song That Reminds You of a Certain Event - "Say it Ain't So" by Weezer
- A Song That You Know All the Words To - "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" by Meatloaf
- A Song That You Can Dance To - "Babe" by Styx
- A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep - "One For My Baby" by Frank Sinatra
- A Song From Your Favourite Band - "Unconditional" by jacksoul
- A Song From a Band You Hate - "Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles
- A Song That is a Guilty Pleasure - "Snoopy's Christmas" by The Royal Guardsmen
- A Song That No One Would Expect You to Love
- A Song That Describes You
- A Song That You Used to Love But Now You Hate
- A Song That You Hear Often on the Radio
- A Song That You Wish You Heard on the Radio
- A Song From Your Favourite Album
- A Song You Listen to When You're Angry
- A Song You Listen to When You're Happy
- A Song You Listen to When You're Sad
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Wedding
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Funeral
- A Song That Makes you Laugh
- A Song That You Can Play on an Instrument
- A Song That Makes You Feel Guilty
- A Song You Wish You Could Play
- A Song From Your Childhood
- Your Favourite Song This Time Last Year