Day 14 - A Song That No One Would Expect You to Love
I think I've talked before about how my musical tastes are many and varied. Most people only get exposed to a certain segment of that, though. The downtown karaoke crowd mostly hears the folksy Cancon, the 90s alternative, and the angsty stuff. The show tunes are pretty much obvious, of course. I never break out the classical or the lounge music — you'd be surprised how poorly that type of stuff goes over in a room full of drunk hipsters — and I really only break out the harder stuff on special occasions.
So, I think a song that no one would expect me to love is "One" by Metallica.
Having come of age in the MuchMusic era, there are certain songs that I completely associate with their video, to the point where I can almost see it shot for shot when I hear the song. Radiohead's "Just" is a song like that, and so is this one. It's an amazing video, using footage from the movie of the book that inspired the song, Johnny Got His Gun.
Honestly, if you haven't seen it, just watch the video. It's a total psychological whooooaaaa. I really need to read the book someday.
Anyway, I think it's among Metallica's best work, and it's right before they became METALLICA. Coincidentally, it's also right before they became completely insufferable. But it's a great song, so rough-edged and angry. It puts the heavy in heavy metal.
30 Songs in 30 Days
- Your Favourite Song - "American Pie" by Don McLean
- Your Least Favourite Song - "Hotel Room Service" by Pitbull
- A Song That Makes You Happy - "Legend of a Cowgirl" by Imani Coppola
- A Song That Makes You Sad - "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley
- A Song That Reminds You of Someone - "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga
- A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere - "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads
- A Song That Reminds You of a Certain Event - "Say it Ain't So" by Weezer
- A Song That You Know All the Words To - "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" by Meatloaf
- A Song That You Can Dance To - "Babe" by Styx
- A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep - "One For My Baby" by Frank Sinatra
- A Song From Your Favourite Band - "Unconditional" by jacksoul
- A Song From a Band You Hate - "Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles
- A Song That is a Guilty Pleasure - "Snoopy's Christmas" by The Royal Guardsmen
- A Song That No One Would Expect You to Love - "One" by Metallica
- A Song That Describes You
- A Song That You Used to Love But Now You Hate
- A Song That You Hear Often on the Radio
- A Song That You Wish You Heard on the Radio
- A Song From Your Favourite Album
- A Song You Listen to When You're Angry
- A Song You Listen to When You're Happy
- A Song You Listen to When You're Sad
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Wedding
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Funeral
- A Song That Makes you Laugh
- A Song That You Can Play on an Instrument
- A Song That Makes You Feel Guilty
- A Song You Wish You Could Play
- A Song From Your Childhood
- Your Favourite Song This Time Last Year