Day 20 - A Song You Listen to When You're Angry
Musick hath Charms to soothe a savage Breast, to soften Rocks, or bend a knotted Oak.
Of course, that's one way to go — to use music to effect change. On the other hand, when I'm feeling ragy, I generally prefer to listen to music that matches my mood.
A song I listen to when I'm angry is "Bodies" by Drowning Pool.
Yep, like I've said — varied musical tastes. I love this song. I love the pace, I love the rhythm, I love the structure. I love the fury. It's a great song to play when there's something bubbling just under the surface, or something that's sticking in my craw.
And, assuming I don't have any need to use my voice for the eight hours or so afterward, it's a song that I absolutely love to do at karaoke. Never fails to get a rise out of a crowd.
Unfortunately, this song has been involved in more than its fair share of controversy over the years. It came out in May 2001 and had some decent success. The WWE picked it up to use as the theme song for their August 2001 Summerslam pay-per-view, giving it even more exposure. And then 9/11 happened and, despite the fact that the song's about being in a mosh pit, the lyric "… let the bodies hit the floor…" took on a rather negative connotation. The song more or less disappeared from the radio immediately.
In 2003, it was also used as part of interrogation techniques with prisoners at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba. More recently, it was used as background music in a video created by the shooter in the January 2011 incident in Arizona that seriously injured U.S. congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.
Hell of a lot of baggage for one song.
30 Songs in 30 Days
- Your Favourite Song - "American Pie" by Don McLean
- Your Least Favourite Song - "Hotel Room Service" by Pitbull
- A Song That Makes You Happy - "Legend of a Cowgirl" by Imani Coppola
- A Song That Makes You Sad - "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley
- A Song That Reminds You of Someone - "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga
- A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere - "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads
- A Song That Reminds You of a Certain Event - "Say it Ain't So" by Weezer
- A Song That You Know All the Words To - "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" by Meatloaf
- A Song That You Can Dance To - "Babe" by Styx
- A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep - "One For My Baby" by Frank Sinatra
- A Song From Your Favourite Band - "Unconditional" by jacksoul
- A Song From a Band You Hate - "Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles
- A Song That is a Guilty Pleasure - "Snoopy's Christmas" by The Royal Guardsmen
- A Song That No One Would Expect You to Love - "One" by Metallica
- A Song That Describes You - "Still Crazy After All These Years" by Paul Simon
- A Song That You Used to Love But Now You Hate - "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond
- A Song That You Hear Often on the Radio - "1979" by Smashing Pumpkins
- A Song That You Wish You Heard on the Radio - "Dance of the Vulnerable" by Gregory Hoskins and the Stickpeople
- A Song From Your Favourite Album - "Gulf War Song" by Moxy Früvous
- A Song You Listen to When You're Angry - "Bodies" by Drowning Pool
- A Song You Listen to When You're Happy
- A Song You Listen to When You're Sad
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Wedding
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Funeral
- A Song That Makes you Laugh
- A Song That You Can Play on an Instrument
- A Song That Makes You Feel Guilty
- A Song You Wish You Could Play
- A Song From Your Childhood
- Your Favourite Song This Time Last Year