Day 21 - A Song You Listen to When You're Happy
As I was thinking about writing this post, it occurred to me that there are a lot of directions you can go with 'happy' songs. "Happy Together" by The Turtles. "Shiny Happy People" by R.E.M. "Happy Talk" from South Pacific. "Only Happy When it Rains" by Garbage. Matt Dusk's "Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad" was a sombre song disguised as two-thirds happy. Heck, Jann Arden had a whole Happy? album, although expressing it as a question puts a different spin on things.
A song I listen to when I'm happy is "What the Fuck Was I Thinking" by Jon Levine Band.
Jon Levine is a ridiculously talented pianist/keyboardist, best known for his work with The Philosopher Kings, one of my favourite bands. He's also a songwriter and producer, both for The Philosopher KIngs and other artists such as Nelly Furtado, Selena Gomez, and K'Naan.
In the gap between The Philosopher Kings' third and fourth albums, he put out his own self-titled solo CD. It's a fun little album — piano heavy, naturally, but covering a wide range of styles. I can happily play the CD for hours on repeat, which isn't common for me.
This song comes from that album. The first time I heard it was played live when Levine's band was one of the opening acts at a Philosopher Kings concert. The song was fleshed out with a longer piano solo and it was just fun. And equally importantly, he was clearly having a wildly-good time playing it, too.
Plus, an appropriately-used swear word in the title of the song? Well, how can that not put a smile on your face?
30 Songs in 30 Days
- Your Favourite Song - "American Pie" by Don McLean
- Your Least Favourite Song - "Hotel Room Service" by Pitbull
- A Song That Makes You Happy - "Legend of a Cowgirl" by Imani Coppola
- A Song That Makes You Sad - "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley
- A Song That Reminds You of Someone - "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga
- A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere - "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads
- A Song That Reminds You of a Certain Event - "Say it Ain't So" by Weezer
- A Song That You Know All the Words To - "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" by Meatloaf
- A Song That You Can Dance To - "Babe" by Styx
- A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep - "One For My Baby" by Frank Sinatra
- A Song From Your Favourite Band - "Unconditional" by jacksoul
- A Song From a Band You Hate - "Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles
- A Song That is a Guilty Pleasure - "Snoopy's Christmas" by The Royal Guardsmen
- A Song That No One Would Expect You to Love - "One" by Metallica
- A Song That Describes You - "Still Crazy After All These Years" by Paul Simon
- A Song That You Used to Love But Now You Hate - "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond
- A Song That You Hear Often on the Radio - "1979" by Smashing Pumpkins
- A Song That You Wish You Heard on the Radio - "Dance of the Vulnerable" by Gregory Hoskins and the Stickpeople
- A Song From Your Favourite Album - "Gulf War Song" by Moxy Früvous
- A Song You Listen to When You're Angry - "Bodies" by Drowning Pool
- A Song You Listen to When You're Happy - "What the Fuck Was I Thinking" by Jon Levine Band
- A Song You Listen to When You're Sad
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Wedding
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Funeral
- A Song That Makes you Laugh
- A Song That You Can Play on an Instrument
- A Song That Makes You Feel Guilty
- A Song You Wish You Could Play
- A Song From Your Childhood
- Your Favourite Song This Time Last Year