Day 24 - A Song You Want to Play at Your Funeral
There are really two different models for what a funeral can look like. There's the traditional service in a church or a funeral home chapel, with a religious official reading off canned text. There are some awkward prayers, someone who's not used to speaking in front of groups of people trying to bring everyone's spirits up, and uncomfortable conversation over tea and party sandwiches.
And then there's the other model.
A song I want to play at my funeral is "Home for a Rest" by Spirit of the West.
I want my funeral to be a party. Not an Irish wake, exactly — I'm not planning on being propped up in the corner or anything. But I want it to be a joyous occasion, not a sombre one. I want pictures everywhere. I want the walls papered with messages from out-of-town friends who can't be there.
I want stories to be swapped, tales to be told. I want frightening quantities of adult beverages to be imbibed. I want a round of all-Barenaked Ladies karaoke. Oh, and I want the party sandwiches too — you can't beat party sandwiches, especially if they're from the Pickle Barrel.
Most of all, I want this song to be setting the tone, with all its raucous energy and its sing-along chorus.
30 Songs in 30 Days
- Your Favourite Song - "American Pie" by Don McLean
- Your Least Favourite Song - "Hotel Room Service" by Pitbull
- A Song That Makes You Happy - "Legend of a Cowgirl" by Imani Coppola
- A Song That Makes You Sad - "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley
- A Song That Reminds You of Someone - "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga
- A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere - "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads
- A Song That Reminds You of a Certain Event - "Say it Ain't So" by Weezer
- A Song That You Know All the Words To - "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" by Meatloaf
- A Song That You Can Dance To - "Babe" by Styx
- A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep - "One For My Baby" by Frank Sinatra
- A Song From Your Favourite Band - "Unconditional" by jacksoul
- A Song From a Band You Hate - "Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles
- A Song That is a Guilty Pleasure - "Snoopy's Christmas" by The Royal Guardsmen
- A Song That No One Would Expect You to Love - "One" by Metallica
- A Song That Describes You - "Still Crazy After All These Years" by Paul Simon
- A Song That You Used to Love But Now You Hate - "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond
- A Song That You Hear Often on the Radio - "1979" by Smashing Pumpkins
- A Song That You Wish You Heard on the Radio - "Dance of the Vulnerable" by Gregory Hoskins and the Stickpeople
- A Song From Your Favourite Album - "Gulf War Song" by Moxy Früvous
- A Song You Listen to When You're Angry - "Bodies" by Drowning Pool
- A Song You Listen to When You're Happy - "What the Fuck Was I Thinking" by Jon Levine Band
- A Song You Listen to When You're Sad - "Raining in Baltimore" by Counting Crows
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Wedding - "Sara Smile" by Hall & Oates
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Funeral - "Home for a Rest" by Spirit of the West
- A Song That Makes you Laugh
- A Song That You Can Play on an Instrument
- A Song That Makes You Feel Guilty
- A Song You Wish You Could Play
- A Song From Your Childhood
- Your Favourite Song This Time Last Year