Day 25 - A Song That Makes You Laugh
Laughter isn't something I ordinarily associate with music. Well, there's "Make 'Em Laugh" from Singing in the Rain, of course. But otherwise, I just don't think of music as something that generates laughter. However…
A song that makes me laugh is "You Oughta Know" by Jaymz Bee and the Royal Jelly Orchestra.
I have an unnatural attraction to lounge music. I'm not sure what it is. I'm not generally big on cover tunes, and a lot of the best lounge music is made up of remakes of pop hits. But there's just something about it that speaks to me. Richard Cheese's cover of "Creep". Louis Prima. Mel Torme.
In fact, one of my favourite CDs is Jaymz Bee and the Royal Jelly Orchestra's Cocktail: Shakin' and Stirred. It's a collection of all-Cancon rock, remade as lounge. Just imagine this lineup:
- "Safety Dance"
- "Turn Me Loose"
- "American Woman"
- "Run to You"
- "Closer to the Heart"
- "Takin' Care of Business"
- "Superman's Song"
- "Spaceship Superstar"
- "Born to Be Wild"
- "Sunglasses at Night"
And "You Oughta Know".
I think it's the dichotomy between the poppy tone of this remake, versus the rock/alternative girl rawr of the original. I just can't help but laugh every time I hear this song.
30 Songs in 30 Days
- Your Favourite Song - "American Pie" by Don McLean
- Your Least Favourite Song - "Hotel Room Service" by Pitbull
- A Song That Makes You Happy - "Legend of a Cowgirl" by Imani Coppola
- A Song That Makes You Sad - "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley
- A Song That Reminds You of Someone - "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga
- A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere - "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads
- A Song That Reminds You of a Certain Event - "Say it Ain't So" by Weezer
- A Song That You Know All the Words To - "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" by Meatloaf
- A Song That You Can Dance To - "Babe" by Styx
- A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep - "One For My Baby" by Frank Sinatra
- A Song From Your Favourite Band - "Unconditional" by jacksoul
- A Song From a Band You Hate - "Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles
- A Song That is a Guilty Pleasure - "Snoopy's Christmas" by The Royal Guardsmen
- A Song That No One Would Expect You to Love - "One" by Metallica
- A Song That Describes You - "Still Crazy After All These Years" by Paul Simon
- A Song That You Used to Love But Now You Hate - "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond
- A Song That You Hear Often on the Radio - "1979" by Smashing Pumpkins
- A Song That You Wish You Heard on the Radio - "Dance of the Vulnerable" by Gregory Hoskins and the Stickpeople
- A Song From Your Favourite Album - "Gulf War Song" by Moxy Früvous
- A Song You Listen to When You're Angry - "Bodies" by Drowning Pool
- A Song You Listen to When You're Happy - "What the Fuck Was I Thinking" by Jon Levine Band
- A Song You Listen to When You're Sad - "Raining in Baltimore" by Counting Crows
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Wedding - "Sara Smile" by Hall & Oates
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Funeral - "Home for a Rest" by Spirit of the West
- A Song That Makes you Laugh - "You Oughta Know" by Jaymz Bee and the Royal Jelly Orchestra
- A Song That You Can Play on an Instrument
- A Song That Makes You Feel Guilty
- A Song You Wish You Could Play
- A Song From Your Childhood
- Your Favourite Song This Time Last Year