Day 26 - A Song That You Can Play on an Instrument
Unless you count my vocal chords, I never really learned how to play an instrument as a kid. There was a few years of recorder when I was younger, long enough that I graduated to learn the alto recorder too. But that was it.
We had a piano in the house, but I never took lessons; never learned to play at all. My sister took piano. She learned clarinet and sax in school, and played in the various high school bands. I had friends who were in band in high school. But I was just never drawn to the idea. I spent too much time in choirs and taking part in school plays/musicals. Even with all those years in choirs, I never really learned to read music, beyond being able to follow along with it once I had the first note.
Now, as an adult, I regret it. I wish I'd learned to read music properly. I especially wish I'd learned to play piano — there are only about 100 occasions during life where it would have come in extremely handy.
So, a song that I can play on an instrument? Well, that's a tough one.
A song that I can play on an instrument is "Spoonman" by Soundgarden.
Not the whole song of course; just the part with the spoons. I mean, it's spoons, right? How hard could it really be?
I'm kidding, of course. The reality is that playing the spoons at the level of the guy in this song is a serious skill. There's no chance in hell that I'd be able to pull that off.
So, in the end, there is no song that I can play on an instrument. And that makes me a little sad…
30 Songs in 30 Days
- Your Favourite Song - "American Pie" by Don McLean
- Your Least Favourite Song - "Hotel Room Service" by Pitbull
- A Song That Makes You Happy - "Legend of a Cowgirl" by Imani Coppola
- A Song That Makes You Sad - "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley
- A Song That Reminds You of Someone - "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga
- A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere - "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads
- A Song That Reminds You of a Certain Event - "Say it Ain't So" by Weezer
- A Song That You Know All the Words To - "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" by Meatloaf
- A Song That You Can Dance To - "Babe" by Styx
- A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep - "One For My Baby" by Frank Sinatra
- A Song From Your Favourite Band - "Unconditional" by jacksoul
- A Song From a Band You Hate - "Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles
- A Song That is a Guilty Pleasure - "Snoopy's Christmas" by The Royal Guardsmen
- A Song That No One Would Expect You to Love - "One" by Metallica
- A Song That Describes You - "Still Crazy After All These Years" by Paul Simon
- A Song That You Used to Love But Now You Hate - "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond
- A Song That You Hear Often on the Radio - "1979" by Smashing Pumpkins
- A Song That You Wish You Heard on the Radio - "Dance of the Vulnerable" by Gregory Hoskins and the Stickpeople
- A Song From Your Favourite Album - "Gulf War Song" by Moxy Früvous
- A Song You Listen to When You're Angry - "Bodies" by Drowning Pool
- A Song You Listen to When You're Happy - "What the Fuck Was I Thinking" by Jon Levine Band
- A Song You Listen to When You're Sad - "Raining in Baltimore" by Counting Crows
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Wedding - "Sara Smile" by Hall & Oates
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Funeral - "Home for a Rest" by Spirit of the West
- A Song That Makes you Laugh - "You Oughta Know" by Jaymz Bee and the Royal Jelly Orchestra
- A Song That You Can Play on an Instrument - "Spoonman" by Soundgarden
- A Song That Makes You Feel Guilty
- A Song You Wish You Could Play
- A Song From Your Childhood
- Your Favourite Song This Time Last Year