Day 2 - Your Least Favourite Song
There is a lot of really bad music out there. There's so much bad music out there, especially right now, that I hardly ever listen to regular AM/FM radio anymore. Every time I get in our car, I feel like I need to send the folks at XM a gift. So, while it was really easy for me to choose my favourite song, it was a lot harder to choose my least favourite. For one thing, I generally try to forget about the stuff I dislike as quickly as possible. Sometimes, however, it's just not that easy. Sometimes, a song will become ubiquitous. A few years ago, this song fit that bill.
My least favourite song is "Hotel Room Service" by Pitbull.
It's not just that there's one thing wrong with this song — it's that there are so many things wrong with it:
- First of all, there's Pitbull himself. For the last few years, it really feels like you can't go five songs without hearing him on the radio, whether it's on his own or he's featured on someone else's work. He's this generation's Ja Rule, with extra attitude but minus the prison sentences and rap crew "feuds".
- There's a long history in rap and hip-hop of sampling — taking well-known hooks from other artists' hits to lay the foundation for a new song. I'm not a big fan of it; I generally prefer that people create things that are original. But it's an established tradition, so I live with it. That's music, though — there are no fewer than three instances in this song where the songwriters lift actual whole lines of lyrics from other songs.
- The 1980s' era Casio handheld electronic keyboard-sounding music.
- The lyrics themselves. Look, I'm not going to repeat excerpts from the lyrics here — I'll just provide this link and let you look for yourselves. I'm no prude, but eww, dude. Let's leave just one or two things to the imagination, shall we?
- And on a related note, can top 40 radio please get a clue? The number of times I heard this song programmed right after Justin Bieber; is it really appropriate for his main audience to hear these lyrics?
All in all, this song is just one giant bundle of suck. In fact, I've spent way more time thinking about it to write this post than it even deserves.
30 Songs in 30 Days
- Your Favourite Song - "American Pie" by Don McLean
- Your Least Favourite Song - "Hotel Room Service" by Pitbull
- A Song That Makes You Happy
- A Song That Makes You Sad
- A Song That Reminds You of Someone
- A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere
- A Song That Reminds You of a Certain Event
- A Song That You Know All the Words To
- A Song That You Can Dance To
- A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep
- A Song From Your Favourite Band
- A Song From a Band You Hate
- A Song That is a Guilty Pleasure
- A Song That No One Would Expect You to Love
- A Song That Describes You
- A Song That You Used to Love But Now You Hate
- A Song That You Hear Often on the Radio
- A Song That You Wish You Heard on the Radio
- A Song From Your Favourite Album
- A Song You Listen to When You're Angry
- A Song You Listen to When You're Happy
- A Song You Listen to When You're Sad
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Wedding
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Funeral
- A Song That Makes you Laugh
- A Song That You Can Play on an Instrument
- A Song That Makes You Feel Guilty
- A Song You Wish You Could Play
- A Song From Your Childhood
- Your Favourite Song This Time Last Year