Day 4 - A Song That Makes You Sad
It's another day of songs that evoke emotions. Coincidentally, the weekly Thursday night karaoke show I go to has a running theme; either a word in the song title or songs of a particular type. Tonight, the theme is sad songs. While I'm not planning on singing this tonight…
A song that makes me sad is "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley.
There are a lot of levels of sad to this song:
- The song itself, especially as performed by Buckley, is melancholy and haunting.
- Buckley's untimely passing, at age 30 from an accidental drowning, is beyond sad. While it's not at all unusual for artists to die young, it's usually through their own misadventure — drug overdose, mixing drugs and alcohol, suicide, etc. A complete accident? Far less common. Add to that the success, both critical and commercial, since he's passed and it's very unfortunate.
- Hollywood has jumped all over this song, particularly this version of it. It's been used in numerous movies and TV shows to help set the tone for a scene. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the very first time I heard the song was during one of the most powerful scenes in The West Wing — it plays in the background of an extended sequence of shots when C.J.'s secret service bodyguard is shot during a convenience store robbery.
Sorry, it's just a bit dusty in here…
I know; your mileage may vary in terms of this being a sad song. The version recorded by Justin Timberlake, Matt Morris, and Charlie Sexton for the Hope for Haiti benefit concert, for example, was about… well, hope. K.D. Lang sang it at the opening ceremonies for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, which would certainly be a happy, celebratory occasion. Heck, I even sang an abbreviated version of it myself at a friend's wedding once — it was the song used to bring the bride down the aisle.
For me, though, it's a sad song.
30 Songs in 30 Days
- Your Favourite Song - "American Pie" by Don McLean
- Your Least Favourite Song - "Hotel Room Service" by Pitbull
- A Song That Makes You Happy - "Legend of a Cowgirl" by Imani Coppola
- A Song That Makes You Sad - "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley
- A Song That Reminds You of Someone
- A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere
- A Song That Reminds You of a Certain Event
- A Song That You Know All the Words To
- A Song That You Can Dance To
- A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep
- A Song From Your Favourite Band
- A Song From a Band You Hate
- A Song That is a Guilty Pleasure
- A Song That No One Would Expect You to Love
- A Song That Describes You
- A Song That You Used to Love But Now You Hate
- A Song That You Hear Often on the Radio
- A Song That You Wish You Heard on the Radio
- A Song From Your Favourite Album
- A Song You Listen to When You're Angry
- A Song You Listen to When You're Happy
- A Song You Listen to When You're Sad
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Wedding
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Funeral
- A Song That Makes you Laugh
- A Song That You Can Play on an Instrument
- A Song That Makes You Feel Guilty
- A Song You Wish You Could Play
- A Song From Your Childhood
- Your Favourite Song This Time Last Year