Day 5 - A Song That Reminds You of Someone
We've talked about songs evoking feelings the last couple of days. Now a few days of songs that conjure up memories.
There are lots of songs that fit the bill here. I hear "Luck be a Lady" and I think of my high school production of Guys and Dolls. I hear the theme for Coach's Corner on Hockey Night in Canada, and more often than not, I think of my mom. Why, you ask? Well, as Hammy Hamster would say, that's another story. But in that vein…
A song that reminds me of someone is "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga.
One of the first people I was introduced to when I found the downtown Toronto karaoke scene a few years ago was Rannie Turingan. Rannie's good people — a talented photographer and social media professional, a magnetic personality in a crowded room. He's also a karaoke enthusiast, with specialties in Elton John, Madonna, Adele, and Lady Gaga, among others.
You'll notice a connection in that list of artists above. You can't hear "Born This Way" without thinking of Madonna's 1989 hit "Express Yourself". In fact, they're more or less the same song.
Anyway, Rannie developed a habit of singing "Born This Way" at karaoke, but transitioning to the lyrics from "Express Yourself" partway through the song (from memory), and then back to "Born This Way". It's an awfully fun party trick, and I've seen it pop a crowded bar more than once. I get a smile on my face every time I think of it, and I can't hear "Born This Way" ever since without thinking of Rannie.
30 Songs in 30 Days
- Your Favourite Song - "American Pie" by Don McLean
- Your Least Favourite Song - "Hotel Room Service" by Pitbull
- A Song That Makes You Happy - "Legend of a Cowgirl" by Imani Coppola
- A Song That Makes You Sad - "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley
- A Song That Reminds You of Someone - "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga
- A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere
- A Song That Reminds You of a Certain Event
- A Song That You Know All the Words To
- A Song That You Can Dance To
- A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep
- A Song From Your Favourite Band
- A Song From a Band You Hate
- A Song That is a Guilty Pleasure
- A Song That No One Would Expect You to Love
- A Song That Describes You
- A Song That You Used to Love But Now You Hate
- A Song That You Hear Often on the Radio
- A Song That You Wish You Heard on the Radio
- A Song From Your Favourite Album
- A Song You Listen to When You're Angry
- A Song You Listen to When You're Happy
- A Song You Listen to When You're Sad
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Wedding
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Funeral
- A Song That Makes you Laugh
- A Song That You Can Play on an Instrument
- A Song That Makes You Feel Guilty
- A Song You Wish You Could Play
- A Song From Your Childhood
- Your Favourite Song This Time Last Year