Day 7 - A Song That Reminds You of a Certain Event
As I thought about today's entry on the list, it occurred to me that most times when a song brings an event to mind, that event is a concert. I hear Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell", and I think about seeing him in concert at the Civic Centre in Ottawa as a kid, the first time I was allowed to go to a concert without adult supervision. I hear "If I Had $1000000" by Barenaked Ladies, I think of seeing them play on a stage in the CityTV parking lot during Word on the Street, when all they had going for them was a five-song, yellow cassette tape.
Another song that reminds me of a certain event is "Say it Ain't So" by Weezer.
Canada Day 2011, in Downsview Park. Giant open-air concert with Broken Social Scene, Hey Rosetta!, Weezer, and The Tragically Hip.
As much as I'm a Weezer fan, and The Hip is one of my karaoke go-tos, this event had a lot going against it for me. I'm not an outdoors person, particularly in the summer — allergies kick my ass and in the sun, I burn like a lit match. I'm not generally a large crowds person either; I usually find people to be annoying in groups, especially when copious amounts of alcohol are involved.
But this day turned out to be among the most fun I've had in years. We had great placement; close enough to the stage that you could still identify faces and have a good view of the large screens, but not so close that we would get crushed by the surging crowds. The weather was tolerable, and I managed to use the crowd cover for shade. The bands were fantastic, especially Weezer, who I'd never seen live.
Mostly, though, it was a great day because of the people. Between Erin, Rannie (@photojunkie), Joshua (@phjoshua), and Jason (@videojey), I couldn't have asked for a better group to hang with that day.
Thankfully, Rannie was smart enough to grab some video evidence of the day. Weezer's whole set was pretty much a sing-a-long for the crowd, especially "Say it Ain't So"…
Yeah, we were having too much fun. Ever since, Weezer takes me back to that sunny summer day in north Toronto.
30 Songs in 30 Days
- Your Favourite Song - "American Pie" by Don McLean
- Your Least Favourite Song - "Hotel Room Service" by Pitbull
- A Song That Makes You Happy - "Legend of a Cowgirl" by Imani Coppola
- A Song That Makes You Sad - "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley
- A Song That Reminds You of Someone - "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga
- A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere - "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads
- A Song That Reminds You of a Certain Event - "Say it Ain't So" by Weezer
- A Song That You Know All the Words To
- A Song That You Can Dance To
- A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep
- A Song From Your Favourite Band
- A Song From a Band You Hate
- A Song That is a Guilty Pleasure
- A Song That No One Would Expect You to Love
- A Song That Describes You
- A Song That You Used to Love But Now You Hate
- A Song That You Hear Often on the Radio
- A Song That You Wish You Heard on the Radio
- A Song From Your Favourite Album
- A Song You Listen to When You're Angry
- A Song You Listen to When You're Happy
- A Song You Listen to When You're Sad
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Wedding
- A Song You Want to Play at Your Funeral
- A Song That Makes you Laugh
- A Song That You Can Play on an Instrument
- A Song That Makes You Feel Guilty
- A Song You Wish You Could Play
- A Song From Your Childhood
- Your Favourite Song This Time Last Year